Assessment and Strategy Development
Once you have disclosed your invention to CTL, the next step is to work with a licensing officer to explore its market or commercial potential. You and your licensing officer will work together to review the following key issues, among other factors, that affect the assessment of the invention:
- What problem(s) does the invention solve?
- What is the potential market for or the commercial value of the invention?
- Are there competing technologies available or under development in other labs? How much better is the new invention than the competing inventions?
- How to protect the invention to prepare it for commercialization?
- Do you intend to continue working in this area, and are you willing to do experiments that will make the invention more attractive to industry or will help fulfill the enablement demand of the patent examiner?
- What previous publications or patents related to the invention are you aware of?
- What businesses may be good industry partners to develop your invention into valuable products or services for the public?
- Is there potential to create a new business enterprise based on the invention that can foster regional economic development?
Learn more about how CTL will assess your invention.